Search This Blog

Saturday, August 12, 2017

SSRI Augmentation | Ask the Therapist

SSRI Augmentation | Ask the Therapist: I was on 150mg sertraline for many years and doing well. My psychiatrist agreed that I could come off. Unfortunately, my depression and anxiety returned as several major life stressors emerged. The dose was increased to 200mg and 1mg of aripiprazole was added. My doc said it would 'jump start' the sertraline and might not be needed long term. In your experience, can an augmenting drug 'jump start' an SSRI and then be discontinued? (From the USA) A: I think it is important to follow your physician's lead on this while keeping in mind the potential pros and cons. I can give you medical advice because I am a psychologist and recommend you check out these studies to make a fully informed decision:

No comments: